We know that you care how information about you is used and shared and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly. This Privacy Notice describes how Akro Books collects and processes personal information through this website or our services (together, " Akro Books Services.").
What Personal Information About Customers Does Akro Books Collect?
- We collect your personal information in order to provide and continually improve the Akro Books Services. Here are the types of personal information we collect:
- Information you give us: We receive and store any information you provide in relation to Akro Books Services. See the 'Examples of Information Collected' section below to see examples of what we collect. You can choose not to provide certain information but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our Akro Books Services.
- Information from other sources: We might receive information about you from other sources, such as updated delivery and address information from our carriers, which we use to correct our records and deliver your next purchase more easily. See the 'Examples of Information Collected' section below to see additional examples of the information we receive.
- For What Purposes Does Akro Books Process Your Personal Information?
- We process your personal information to operate, provide, develop and improve products and services that we offer our customers. These purposes include:
- Purchase and delivery of products and personalised services. We use your personal information to take and handle orders, deliver products and services, process payments, and communicate with you about orders, products and services, and promotional offers, recommend products that might be of interest to you, identify your preferences, and personalize your experience with Akro Books.
- Provide, troubleshoot, and improve Akro Books Services. We use your personal information to provide functionality, analyse performance, fix errors, and improve the usability and effectiveness of the Akro Books Services, and for internal record keeping purposes.
- Communicate with you. We use your personal information to communicate with you in relation to the Akro Books Services via different channels (e.g., by phone, e-mail, chat), for example to respond to questions that you raise or to update you about orders you have made.
- Advertising. We use information such as your interactions with the Akro Books site to display interest based-ads for features, products, and services that might be of interest to you. We do not use information that personally identifies you to display interest-based ads. To learn more, please read the What About Advertising? section of this Privacy Notice.
- Fraud Prevention and Credit Risks. We process personal information to prevent and detect fraud and abuse in order to protect the security of Akro Books, our customers, and others. We may also use scoring methods to assess and manage credit risks.
- Comply with legal obligations. In certain cases, we have a legal obligation to collect and process your personal information to comply with laws. For instance, we collect from sellers information regarding place of establishment and bank account information for identity verification and other purposes.
- Purposes for which we seek your consent. We may also ask for your consent to process your personal information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you. When you consent to our processing your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop processing of your data for that purpose. We may periodically send promotional emails to the email address that you give us, for example, when you sign up to our newsletter. We may contact you about new products, special offers, or other information we think you may find interesting. Please see 'Controlling your personal information' for further information, including how you may opt out of receiving promotional emails. From time to time we may contact you for market research purposes.
What about Cookies and Other Identifiers?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business and we are not in the business of selling our customers' personal information to others. Akro Books shares our customers' personal information only as described below.
- Third party service providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders for products or services; delivering packages; sending postal mail and e-mail (including sending promotional emails on Akro Books’s behalf); removing repetitive information from customer lists; analysing data; providing marketing assistance; providing search results and links (including paid listings and links); processing payments; transmitting content; and providing customer service. These third party service providers have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Further, they must process the personal information in accordance with the contractual agreement we enter into with them and as permitted by applicable data protection laws.
- Transactions involving third parties: We may offer services or sell product lines jointly with third party businesses, such as discount codes provided by third parties. You can tell when a third party is involved in your transactions and we share customer information related to those transactions with that third party to the extent needed to provide you with the relevant service.
- Protection of Akro Books and others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our Conditions of Use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Akro Books, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy other businesses or services. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise).
EU General Data Protection Regulation – Legal Basis
The EU GDPR requires a legal basis for our use of personal information. Our basis varies depending on the specific purpose for which we use personal information. We use:
- Performance of a contract when we provide you with products or services, or communicate with you about them. This includes when we use your personal information to take and handle orders, deliver products and services, and process payments.
- Our legitimate business interests and the interests of our customers when we improve Akro Books services, when we detect and prevent fraud and abuse in order to protect the security of our customers, ourselves, or others, and when we provide you with interest-based advertising.
- Your consent when we ask for your consent to process your personal information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you. When you consent to our processing your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop processing of your data for that purpose.
- Compliance with a legal obligation when we use your personal information to comply with laws. For instance, we collect seller place of establishment and bank account information for identity verification purposes.
- These and other legal bases depending on the purpose for which we use personal information.
International Data Transfers
Some recipients of your personal information may be located outside of your jurisdiction. Whenever we transfer personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area, we ensure that the information is transferred using appropriate safeguards. Specifically, when transferring to third countries that are not deemed by the European Commission to provide an “adequate” level of data protection, we use the EU’s standard contractual clauses.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We design our systems with your security and privacy in mind.
- We work to protect the security of your personal information during transmissions by using encryption protocols and software.
- We follow the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) when handling credit card data.
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personal customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may ask to verify your identity before we disclose your personal information to you. It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computers, devices and applications. We recommend using a unique password for your Akro Books account that is not utilised for other online accounts and be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
What About Advertising?
Our website may include third-party advertising and links to enable you to visit other websites. Third-party advertising partners may collect information about you when you interact with their content, advertising and services. For more information about third-party advertising at Akro Books, including interest-based ads, please read our Interest-Based Ads policy. Use of Third-Party Advertising Services: We provide ad companies with information that allows them to serve you with more useful and relevant Akro Books ads and to measure their effectiveness. We never share your name or other information that directly identifies you when we do this. Instead, we use an advertising identifier like a cookie or other device identifier.
What Information Can I Access?
You can access your information, including your name, address, payment options, profile information, and purchase history in the 'My Account' section of the website. See the 'Examples of Information Collected' section for a list of examples that you can access.
What Choices Do I Have?
If you have any questions or objections as to how we collect and process your personal information, please visit our Contact us page. Please also note:
If you are a registered user, you can update your personal information by logging in to your account.
Subject to applicable law, you have the right to request access to, correct, and delete your personal data, and to ask for data portability. You may also object to our processing of your personal data or ask that we restrict the processing of your personal data in certain instances. If you wish to do any of these things, please write to or email us via the Contact us page as soon as possible.
Are Children Allowed to Use Akro Books Services?
Book Depository doesn't sell products for purchase by children. We sell children's products for purchase by adults. If you're under 18, you may use Akro Books Services only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We keep your personal information for as long as is necessary to enable your continued use of the Akro Books Services, for as long as it is required in order to fulfil the relevant purposes described in this Privacy Notice, as may be permitted by law such as for tax and accounting purposes, or as otherwise communicated to you. For example, we retain your transaction history so that you can review past purchases (and repeat orders if desired) and what addresses you have shipped orders to, and to improve the relevancy of products and content we recommend.
Contacts, Notices & Revisions
If you have any requests concerning your personal information or any queries with regard to our processing please contact us via the Contact us page.
Our business changes constantly and our Privacy Notice will change too. You should check our website frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account.
Examples of Information Collected
Information You Give Us When You Use Akro Books Services
You provide information to us when you:
- Set up an account with Akro Books and provide information in your account;
- Place orders through the Akro Books Services;
- Search for products on the Akro Books Services;
- Communicate with us by e-mail, online chat or otherwise;
- Compile Wishlists;
- Make certain choices on the Akro Books Services, such as to receive recommendations or offers;
- Participate in community features, such as leaving a customer review;
As a result of these actions, you might supply us with such information as: your name, address (e.g, billing and shipping address), email address and phone number, payment information (e.g., credit card details), your age, names, addresses and other details of people to whom purchases have been or will be dispatched, contact details of your friends and others, competition entries, survey responses, customer reviews and the content of messages you send us.
Examples of the information we collect and analyse include:
- The Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Login; email address; password;
- Purchase and content use history;
- the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time); cookie number; products and/ or content you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as clicks).
We may also use device identifiers, cookies, and other technologies on devices, applications and our web pages to collect browsing, usage or other technical information for fraud prevention purposes.
Information From Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include:
- Credit history information in order to help prevent and detect fraud;
- Payment confirmations from payment processors;
- Purchase and content use history;
- Search results and links, including paid listings (such as Sponsored Links).
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access through Akro Books Services include:
- status of recent orders;
- your complete order history;
- personally identifiable information (including name, e-mail and password and address book);
- payment settings (including payment card information);
- your Wishlist;
- e-mail notification settings (contact preferences).